- Sleeps 12
- 6 Bedrooms
- 3 Full Bathrooms
- 2 Half Bathrooms
History of North Point Plantation
Established sometime in the 1720's, the property was part of the larger Mount Pleasant plantation patented by Samuel Garlick. When in 1762 ownership of the plantation passed to the Roane family, one of Virginia's wealthiest and most politically connected, the plantation became significant in the annals of Virginia history.
John Roane, born on the plantation in 1766, served two stints in the Virginia House of Delegates, from 1788-1790 and in 1792, and then served in the U.S. Congress between 1809-1815, and then again from 1827-1831. John Roane's son, John Jones Roanne, also was born on the plantation and like his father, served in the Congress from 1831-1833.
In the late 1830s, North Point Plantation came into the ownership of the Brown/Semple family. The Semples were also among Virginia's most illustrious families and included the major Baptist theologian Robert Baylor Semple and Judge James Semple, who house in Colonial Williamsburg still stands and was designed by his friend Thomas Jefferson.
North Point's main architectural and structural features, such as original hard pine floors, six fireplaces, brick walls and wood moldings are unchanged through the centuries. The old brick "summer kitchen" and round well remain. A paper mulberry tree and two of three towering pecan trees date from the 18th century.
Standing on the gentle slope overlooking the Mattaponi River, it's easy for one to imagine yesteryear when the plantation bustled with activity and important visitors came from far and wide to discuss politics and the business of planting.